Total Pageviews

Wednesday 27 October 2010

My Decision: Fine Art

After eight weeks of rotation at Chelsea, I have experienced four areas of art and design. These four areas consisted of fine art, visual communication, 3D spatial and fashion/textiles. Throughout these two months at Chelsea I have learned a great deal. As much as i would like to continue in all the areas, I have to choose one to continue with for the rest of the year. After thinking deeply about the matter it finally became clear to me that i would very much like to continue in Fine Art.




The other areas were very interesting, I enjoyed the paper work and photograph manipulation in fashion and textiles. I also enjoyed working with three dimensional objects in 3D spatial. Even though I found viscom much tougher, I believe I gained a lot from the two weeks. I think that the least successful area in my opinion was 3D spatial, I didn't enjoy some of the work we were assigned, like the precise drawing of objects. I found myself wanting to exaggerate my sketches or to make them unproportional. I think this is because I like to 'let go.' The project I found to be less successful was the secret message in viscom. I found this project very challenging and i struggled a lot to come up with something sufficient enough and I was slightly embarrassed by having to put it up on the wall and talking about it. 




My conception of art and design has been sufficiently modified throughout the two months of rotation. Not only have I learned new techniques and different ways of seeing art but I am now able to see beauty within the most simplest of creations. However, fine art art really captured my enthusiasm and I believe it has a great deal more to offer me. I found myself wanting to experiment with new media and materials. Just before coming to Chelsea, I had an image in my head of exactly what I wanted to produce as work throughout the year. However when i walked inside that studio, I just wanted to let go and challenge myself to create new and exciting work I thought myself to be incapable of doing. 




Being in London and having so many galleries and museums at my disposal, I cant help but be influenced and inspired by so many fine artists. Each time I visit an exhibition, I just want to run back to the studio and create new work. This burst of enthusiasm has never occurred to me before, but I cant help thinking that its because of the fine art rotation. I found myself just last week in my lunch break wandering through the fine art studio when David Bachelor said ' ha - bet you wish you were here ah...?' And I thought to myself that he is completely and utterly correct! 
This just enforces the fact that I am sure my creativity and passion lies in Fine Art!

No comments:

Post a Comment